Saturday, December 5, 2009

"Now that you're single ..."

It's never easy to tell friends and family you're getting divorced. I suppose it's not easy to respond to the news either.

But when I started telling people my 15-year marriage was ending, the first thing that several -- meaning more than three -- people said to me was: "Now that you're single, you really should change your picture on Facebook."

Do I even need to mention they were all male?

For background, my "picture" on Facebook is the graphic inset here. I've used this graphic for years because I think it represents me pretty well. Half the time I'm at the end of my rope, half the time it's "Ready or not, here I come." I think it's witty and sarcastic and ironic and creative. All things I try to be.

There are also 560 Michelle McKenzies on Facebook. People searching for me know immediately which one I am, in part because it's witty and sarcastic and creative.

And hey, she's got great legs.

But apparently, if you're single, people want to know what you look like. Of course, none of the three guys who very sincerely suggested this took into account that my "friends" on Facebook are actually *gasp* friends. I don't take random friend requests. My friends already know what I look like, appreciate the graphic and have no interest in dating either one of us.

And just the idea of dating makes me want to, well, scream, grab a rope and jump.

I understand the power of social media, I appreciate it and I try to use it when it fits my needs. But I don't think that changing my picture on Facebook (or Twitter for that matter), really fits those needs.

I also find it curious that these three "wise men" all assumed that because I am now single, that I don't want to be. Maybe that's how it is these days. Becoming single is the start of the pursuit of becoming unsingle. And that, in turn, is hangs in the balance of what I look like instead of who I am.

No thanks. Those days are over.

1 comment:

Shadow_Walker343 said...

I left my relationship status blank..whether single, married, divorced status, there was someone always looking to help..in the way you speak of them doing so. Never interested in a type that seeked to help me along in going through more difficult timesb it benefits them. I dropped many female friends because of that line of 'help' when I was married. Don't know what picture it was Michelle, but..if it wasa couples picture..that would make sense even whether deeds were with good or bad intentions. A person keeps looking at their ex and it's hard to move onward, even if their onward is single by preference. I wasn't ready for about 2 years after a 14 year crumbled marriage.
Who is this 'stranger' writing all this? C'mon..look at the name, we used to write longer letters with those old instruments known as pen and paper and put them into snail-mail form each week. lol
Hope you are well. Dunno how old this writing was. Can tell you that IF you decide to explore one of those 3 or others..don't rush..find You again first, fall back totally in love with yourself, live a bit for yourself and at That point you will know if you really desire another or are content with yourself, by yourself, and stick to yapping with family and friends.
Happy 2020..may it be a wonderful year for you, my old prn pal. ;-)
Dan